Monday, June 21, 2010

NIH Public Access Policy Citation Management Tool

NIH Public Access Policy Citation Management Tool
Beginning July 23, 2010, program directors and principal investigators must use My NCBI’s “My Bibliography” tool to manage their professional bibliographies. They will no longer be able to enter citations manually into eRA Commons.

To ease investigators’ bibliography management, improve data quality, and ensure compliance with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) public access policy, eRA Commons has linked to the National Center for Biotechnology Information’s (NCBI’s) personal online tool, “My NCBI.” Using “My Bibliography,” users can maintain and manage a list of all types of their authored works, such as articles, presentations, and books.

When a new or existing My NCBI account is linked to a Commons account, citations added to My Bibliography will appear automatically in the Commons account. Investigators and their delegates will benefit from My Bibliography’s ability to query the National Library of Medicine’s PubMed and PubMed Central databases, as well as the NIH Manuscript Submission system, and import citation data directly from those sources. Users can access My NCBI from Commons, or they can log in directly to My NCBI using their Commons username and password.

For more information on how investigators should handle the upcoming changes, see notice number NOT-OD-10-103. Read the step-by-step guide for how to set up a “My NCBI” account and access “My Bibliography.”


No comments: